List:       fop-user
Subject:    Re: Where to download high-quality fonts
From:       Jeremias Maerki <dev.jeremias () greenmail ! ch>
Date:       2004-12-22 6:56:40

Some thoughts:
- You can probably use the fonts installed on your system without having
to purchase a separate license. You simply have to be careful about
embedding the font because some fonts don't allow that (TTFReader will
tell you). Also, look into the license text of the respective fonts so
you don't do anything wrong. If you plan to redistribute these fonts it
gets more complicated.
- You can assume that the fonts used by IE and Netscape are high-quality
enough for your task.
- If you want to buy fonts, you can go to any online font shop (ex.
http://www.myfonts.com or http://www.linotype.com). If possible, I
usually look for producer names such as Linotype, Adobe or Bitstream.
- In principle, all TrueType or Type1 fonts you can purchase should work
with FOP. If one doesn't work, then our font support is not perfect and
should be improved.

On 22.12.2004 02:53:32 Jay Chiu wrote:
> Can someone tell me where I can purchase some fonts to use with
> Fop, or what exact product from Adobe I should purchase?
>
> ---- On Sun, 19 Dec 2004, Jay Chiu (jaychiu@ureach.com) wrote:
>

> > I come to the same question as Peter B. West posted 06/2004.
> > I am converting html reports to pdf reports and needs the
> basic
> > fonts that IE and netscape suport. I do not mind to purchase
> the
> > fonts, if it is not too expensive.
> >
> > Peter and Paul, did you find out some solution to get some
> > high-quality fonts?
> >
> > Can some font gurus tell me how to get some fonts for FOP? The
> > FOP Font FAQ page has two links to Adboe web, however I do not
> > have the permission to view the pages. And I am not sure which
> > Adode product is good for FOP.
> >
> > Thank you for your help.

Jeremias Maerki