List:       fop-dev
Subject:    RE: PDF Font Support
From:       catkins () spcmg ! com (Clay Atkins)
Date:       1999-12-05 15:57:38

Well, wouldn't it be more user friendly to create a mechanism, where the
user can reference a directory of fonts that are automatically included, as
needed, without any type of compiling?  Maybe have some classes like
"PDFType0", "PDFType1", etc, that can interpret the content of the font file
as needed by the renderer.

> Considering that there so many fonts out there wouldn't it be a
possibility to provide a
> way for the end user to plug in his/her fonts (metrics etc.) + mapping
without the need
> to recompile FOP. The FOP project just provides the plug-in mechanism and
collects the
> definition files provided by the users (+ fonts if they are free). If
things are good
> documented user which are not into programming can make use of their own
fonts and
> share that with others.

But we should make the code mapping and metric classes passable to FOP as a
String indicating the name of the class (just like we now do element
mappings and renderers) so that all that would need to be compiled are the
mapping files, not all of FOP.

Note also, that you only need one mapping file per encoding, not one per
font.
For the metrics, we need a utility that will read TrueType fonts and AFMs
and generate the XML metric files, I think.

James