List:       fop-dev
Subject:    Re: Testing Complex Scripts
From:       Vincent Hennebert <vhennebert () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-06-23 19:24:44

On 23/06/11 11:06, Simon Pepping wrote:
> I do not have Windows7, but I found those fonts, and they work fine.
> OpenType seems to be very much a Microsoft game. Linux vendors seem
> not to move along with MS. Do other font vendors?

I'm not sure. The Wikipedia page about OpenType is quite interesting:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenType
Apparently OpenType was accepted as an ISO standard in 2007, which
I suppose can still be considered as fairly recent.

Note that Apple has its own advanced font format (AAT for Apple Advanced
Typography) that I understand is little used outside of the Apple world.
There is also the Graphite technology from SIL:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphite_%28SIL%29

Since OpenType is a natural evolution of TrueType and the most
widespread technology, I'd expect font vendors to progressively switch
to OpenType as tools add support for it.

Vincent