List:       fop-dev
Subject:    Re: GSUB =?UTF-8?B?c3R1ZmbigKY=?=
From:       Alex Zepeda <zipzippy () sonic ! net>
Date:       2011-03-06 5:07:20

Glenn Adams wrote:

> Also, note that 'salt' and 'ss01' through 'ss20' should be off by
> default. I plan to add an extension mechanism to permit the author to
> enable optional features, which will handle this usage.

Yup.  I turned it on because I wanted the alternate glyphs.  My solution right
now was to turn on salt (which is mapped to some of ss01, ss02, and ss03 on
this font) and then manually map the numbers to the ss01 variants in the
differences table.

I don't think directionality will break copy and paste necessarily, but
mapping to PUAs does because the PDF reader won't copy the original code point
but instead uses the private one which will be useless outside of the PDF
(unless you've got a font installed that's already mapped the PUA).  I *think*
with the differences table, it will copy the original codepoint preserving
copy and paste.

F/ex: In this font 'salt' provides alternate lowercase a and numbers 2, 3, and
4 glyphs from ss01.

If I copy and paste 'Zepeda' I get (using the existing substitution):

'Zepedīƒæ'

If I copy and paste '16273' I get (using a hardcoded diff table entry):

'16273'

Note that in the PDF in question, it all looks great.

- alex