List:       fop-dev
Subject:    Re: OpenType CFF =?windows-1252?Q?fonts=85?=
From:       Alex Zepeda <zipzippy () sonic ! net>
Date:       2011-03-03 22:07:32

Andreas Delmelle wrote:

> If I judge correctly, taking full advantage of CFF would mean that, instead
> of just asking the font what the width is of a single given char, we would
> pass it a sequence of chars and rely on the font code to figure out the
> impact of merging/ligatures etc.

While I wrote a quick CFF parser for TTFSubSetFile (more of a false start,
altho potentially useful for getting away from WinANSI), I haven't looked at
the Type 2 spec in great detail.

Given how lackluster OpenType support is in most applications to this day, I
wonder how many foundries are going to include such complex features as
advanced kerning. I didn't even try to parse the charstrings or grok the added
Type 2 operators.  Altho it shouldn't be too hard to write a rudimentary
charstring parser to get some idea of which fonts do and don't have this info.
  At first glance, the FontShop guys seem to be pretty great at utilising the
OpenType features to their fullest, but…

I don't have a real need because I simply don't have particularly complex
formatting needs.  It's all English, and mostly tabular layouts.  Nothing
demanding.

- alex