List:       fop-dev
Subject:    Re: Problems with URL encoding in FOP docs
From:       "J.Pietschmann" <j3322ptm () yahoo ! de>
Date:       2004-06-30 21:29:50

Peter B. West wrote:
> In http://xml.apache.org/fop/design/alt.design/index.html there occurs
> the following link:
> <a
> href="http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/%3Fl=fop-dev%26m=103890259919360%26w=2">
>
> The question mark and ampersand are encoded as expected.  When I hover
> on this link in Mozilla, I get:
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fop-dev&m=103890259919360&w=2
> as expected.
>
> When I follow the link, I get the _encoded_ values in the location
> window, and

Well, the server is right: the URL is sent verbatim, with the special
chars encoded, which makes the server look for an object named
  /?l=fop-dev&m=103890259919360&w=2
rather than for the object
  /
with the parameters
  l=fop-dev
  m=103890259919360
  w=2
passed.

>  the website tells me that URL with the _unencoded_ values is
> not available.
An artefact of the error message generator, I would think.

> When I manually change the URL in the location window to
> contain the _encoded_ values, it works.
Weird, but probably "works as designed."

> How do I fix this?
Something is wrong with the XSLT processor's serializer. The usual
drill
- Check JDK version, upgrade if necessary
- Install latest Xalan into lib/endorsed, if necessary
- Submit bug report, if the problem still persists.
It might be prudent to check whether the source doesn't already contain
the wrong URL.

J.Pietschmann