List:       fop-dev
Subject:    Re: Problem with building docs - which Forrest version?
From:       Jeff Turner <jefft () apache ! org>
Date:       2003-04-26 8:28:14

On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 10:27:36AM -0600, Victor Mote wrote:
> Jeff Turner wrote:
>
> > I assume you'll want to stick to released versions, so I've made the
> > forrestbot use 0.4 proper.
>
> Actually, I am kind of taking the attitude that forrestbot is an
> infrastructure tool, and we'll let you guys worry about which version to
> use, which skins to use, etc. I'm kind of looking at it as a utility like
> gump -- set it up once, and it becomes part of the infrastructure.

That's the idea, but it should always be possible for individuals to
reproduce the forrestbot-generated site.

> > Attached is another patch for compliance2html.xsl which removes the
> > pdfdoc.gif link, and a patch which fixes a typo.
>
> I don't see the attachments here. Don't worry about the first item -- I
> think I can handle that. I am interested in the second.

I suck at attachments :P  Anyway, seems you've found both issues.

> > Cocoon 'crawls' pages, recursively following links.  By removing the link
> > to compliance.pdf, Cocoon didn't try to render the PDF, and didn't break
> > on the bad .xsl file.
>
> I understand that OK. What I don't follow is this: When the link is in
> place, Cocoon builds the PDF file. It was invalid as far as Acrobat was
> concerned, but it was a real file (I don't know what size -- perhaps zero --
> I don't know how to see the actual filesystem). Since the file existed, I
> was surprised that Cocoon would throw the NPE when trying to build the HTML.

Cocooon rendered compliance.html, then threw a NPE on compliance.pdf and
wrote a zero-byte file.

> > > When I first started the stylesheets, I simply cut & pasted from
> > > real Forrest-generated html on our live site. The import is an
> > > effort to tie it more closely to the standard stylesheets. More can
> > > be done with this, if we modularize the standard stylesheets a bit.
> > > I intend to (eventually) submit a patch to Forrest for this.
> >
> > One option is to first apply compliance2fo, and then apply the standard
> > document2fo afterwards.
>
> I think you must mean compliance2document, then document2fo? I am under the
> impression that I can't get the table color-coding through the document dtd.
> Also, it has a unique TOC now.

I mean, instead of doing:

    <map:transform src="resources/stylesheets/compliance2fo.xsl" />

Where compliance2fo.xsl has a complicated import:

  <xsl:import href="../../skins/common/xslt/fo/document2fo.xsl"/>

Just use two stylesheets in series:

    <map:transform src="resources/stylesheets/compliance2fo.xsl" />
    <map:transform src="skins/{forrest:skin}/xslt/fo/document2fo.xsl" />

Where each stylesheet does part of the job.

--Jeff