List:       focus-virus
Subject:    Re: blocking attachments in outlook.
From:       "Lawrence W. Smith" <lws () JUICECO ! COM>
Date:       2001-03-16 11:24:38

> Ben Greenbaum forwarded a message from <phanson@Alvine.com>
[snip]
> > W2K and Win98 registries...
> > REGEDIT4
> > [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.VBS]
> > @="PossibleVirus"
> > [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.VBS!]
> > @="VBSFile"
> <<snip>>
> > [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PossibleVirus]
> > @="PossibleVirus"
> > [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PossibleVirus\Shell]
> > @="Open"
> > [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PossibleVirus\Shell\Open\Command]
> > @="Notepad.exe \\\\server\\share\\VirsWarn.txt"
> > [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PossibleVirus\Shell\Edit]
> > @="&Edit in Notepad"
> > [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PossibleVirus\Shell\Edit\Command]
> > @="Notepad.exe %1"
> > [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PossibleVirus\Shell\Print]
> > @="&Print"
> > [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PossibleVirus\Shell\Print\Command]
> > @="Notepad.exe /p %1"
> >
> > notice that if you want to run a VBS script, you just
> change the extension
> > by adding an exclamation point (or choose something of your own).
>
> This is the gory details of a suggestion I made a few days back.
[snip]

> Nick FitzGerald

use of the security addon from MS for outlook 98 / 2000
provides 2 "levels" for incoming attachments and control
of settings by security policy:

http://www.microsoft.com/office/ork/2000/download/OutSecWP.doc

http://www.microsoft.com/Office/ORK/2000/journ/outsecupdate.htm

http://www.microsoft.com/office/ork/2000/appndx/toolbox.htm

surprisingly for MS it actually has quite conservative defaults !
whatever next ?

I'm wondering if a combination of the two approaches might be
very strong indeed yet very "user-friendly"