List:       focus-virus
Subject:    RE: system32\winamp.exe
From:       "Jeremy Pollack" <jpollack () bigfoot ! com>
Date:       2004-08-28 2:06:35

This looks like the same thing we got hit w/ about 6 months ago. It was a
variant of Gaobot, Gaobot.AFJ.

At the time, the code was written so that it was only hitting .EDU domains,
so it was pretty low on Symantec and other major AV vendors' radar. We had
to do manual cleaning.

If that is what it is, check C:\ for oddly named .exe files. They are
obvious when you see them, but they are encrypted copies of the virus. Also,
check your services. Our Gaobot installed itself as a service which would
reinstall itself from the encrypted .exe files on C:\

Thank you for posting this script. I am definitely going to save it as it
looks like a solid little cleaning script for this type of machine
infection. At my .edu we had to deal with a *lot* of these gaobot variants
last year. If this happens again, this script will be quite useful.