List:       focus-virus
Subject:    RE: Blocking attachments- RE: Virus blocking *.pif
From:       "Ghetti, Tim" <tghetti () air-worldwide ! com>
Date:       2004-04-13 15:40:10

Hi friends,

Long time viewer, first time poster....

I would like to get some feedback from this discussion.

My company hosts a web application. We recently decided to let some of
our customers upload small pictures to their accounts.
But instead of storing the pictures at the file system level, we have
decided to store them as part of our database. Now we have discussed
security measures, in limiting the size of the pics and limiting them to
.jpg's only, but no one seems to think that we need to use some sort of
virus/content scanning. Just FYI all of our customers have individual
username/password credentials to log in.

What do you think the neccessity of content/virus scanning is to this if
at all?

Cheers

Tim

Free 30-day trial: firewall with virus/spam protection, URL filtering, VPN,
wireless security

Protect your network against hackers, viruses, spam and other risks with Astaro
Security Linux, the comprehensive security solution that combines six
applications in one software solution for ease of use and lower total cost of
ownership.

Download your free trial at
http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/Astaro_incidents_040301