List:       focus-virus
Subject:    Re: Implementation of openantivirus
From:       Andreas Marx <amarx () gega-it ! de>
Date:       2002-08-30 21:09:13

Hi!

OpenAntiVirus is a research project - not more or less. It is able to find
a few viruses and the number of supported file formats and virus signatures
is increasing, but it's still too bad to use it as a single-scanner system.
I would NOT rely on it. The detection rate of 'in-the-wild' viruses
(=currently spreading malware) is less than 30%. Most commercial scanners
have detection rates of 100% (see www.icsalabs.com, www.virusbtn.com or
www.av-test.org for current tests of commercial scanners).

I don't want to make the program worse, but av programs were not built
within days, but many years. And the reserach on OpenAV has just started!
I'm sure, it will get better in every update, but it is still a long way to
go...

cheers,
Andreas

--
Andreas Marx <amarx@gega-it.de>, http://www.av-test.org
GEGA IT-Solutions GbR, Klewitzstr. 7, 39112 Magdeburg, Germany