List:       focus-virus
Subject:    RE: Gator scumware and virus software
From:       "lsi" <stuart () cyberdelix ! net>
Date:       2002-08-29 6:38:13

Gaby,

You won't be able to accurately measure the extent of "junkware" in your enterprise, \
because there is an  infinite amount of variety in the nature of these items.  That \
is, even if you get a "complete" list, the next  time a new junkware program comes \
out, your list will be out-of-date.  And due to the underhanded nature  of this \
software, the authors of Gator and the like aren't going to make your life easy.

However, the authors of Ad-Aware are in a good position to keep up, because they get \
sent new samples  all the time.  Therefore, going with Ad-Aware is likely to count as \
a "reasonable" effort at controlling  junkware.

There is another program called Pest Patrol, which does the same thing - although I \
only got it today so I  don't know what it's like yet (haven't even installed it!).

You could get a directory listing of each workstation, and a list of their running \
processes, and use scripts  to ID various junkwares installed - but it will be very \
time-consuming and not terribly accurate.

If you need to give an estimate to your boss, run Ad-Aware on ten of your machines, \
then extrapolate the  results to the rest.  Ad-Aware does in fact give you the paths \
and names of the files and processes it  finds, so you can build a list (of sorts) if \
you like.  Turn on extended logging in Ad-Aware for the full monty.

Cheers for now.
Stuart