List:       focus-virus
Subject:    SV: More content filtering woes
From:       "Peter Kruse" <kruse () railroad ! dk>
Date:       2002-08-06 16:11:54

Hi Thor,

[Still trying to catch my breath] :-)

I guess there's no easy way to avoid this. In order to proactively
protect endusers they'll need to put such code (or part of it) into
their defs. Since antivirus products still gets smarter and smarter and
heuristics are getting better and better the odds aginst not running
into false positives are poor. Some products will woe plenty of these
some are better to avoid the madness (!). I'll leave you to do the test.
Consider that corporate and endusers are most likely using Microsoft
software without updating as they should. AV-software is now trying to
protect these poor souls adding proxy functionality to catch e.g.
malicious content in HTML based e-mails and for a good reason. Looking
at http://www.pivx.com/larholm/unpatched/ says it all!  ;-)

Med venlig hilsen // Kind regards

Peter Kruse
Security- and Virusanalyst