List:       focus-sun
Subject:    Re: root $PATH
From:       Darren Moffat <Darren.Moffat () eng ! sun ! com>
Date:       2001-04-14 0:28:25

>The two overlap on some very important commands, and accept for [u]mountall
>and fdisk, they are not the same. Are the /usr/sbin ones wrappers? They all
>look smaller.

The /usr/sbin ones are dynamically linked, the /sbin ones are static
or are only dynamically linked against libdl (this is because they may
need to dlopen() stuff out of /etc/lib).

>But /sbin does contain a couple of commands that /usr/sbin does not,
>
>  $ ls /sbin > /tmp/ls.sbin
>  $ ls /usr/sbin | diff - /tmp/ls.sbin | grep '>'
>  > bpgetfile
>  > dhcpagent
>  > dhcpinfo

These are generally only used by rc scripts, but I don't see anyreason
why they couldn't be in /usr/sbin as well.

>  > jsh

Does anyone actually use jsh ?

>  > sh

Static shell, this is root's shell.  It is good advice to keep root's
shell /sbin/sh since if you ever screw up libraries like libc it can
be very useful having a statically linked shell.

>  > soconfig
>  > su
>  > su.static
>  > sulogin
>  > swapadd

The su/su.static/sulogin are all their to provide, if possible authentiation,
before going into single user mode.

The reason of all of this being that if /usr/ is on a different partition
(possibly even nfs mounted) then you need static stuff to mount it up and
or repair it.

--
Darren J Moffat