List:       focus-sun
Subject:    Re: Root gid change to zero, and SMTP uid of 0, gid of 0
From:       Hal Flynn <hmflynn () EARTHLINK ! NET>
Date:       2000-07-31 17:31:19

Hi Darren,

As I'm catching up on email here, I have yet to see an answer to your
question.  I'll venture a guess at why he desires to change it.

Using useradd, all users added via CLI are automatically dropped into
group 1, which with the default umask makes it possible for any
carelessly added user to read files created by root, and decend any
directory created by root.

Granted, it's trivial and perhaps even moot, but I've seen similar
precautions in various computing environments (mainly because there's
one good(paranoid?) admin, and a bunch of careless ones).

Hal