List:       focus-sun
Subject:    Re: shells (or lack thereof) and associated risks
From:       Mark Femal <mark () BEANTREE ! COM>
Date:       2000-06-29 23:01:25

I would agreee.  Syslog logging is a must IMHO.  Titan is a really good
set of tools to look into.  I never caught the use of noshell in the
distribution (http://www.fish.com/titan/src1/noshell.c).  Plus, you can
use Wes Peters' nologin.c at
ftp://ftp.xmission.com/pub/users/s/softweyr/pub/nologin.c

They are simple but effective (especially when combined with swatch)

Perhaps someone else could speak more about the ramifications for doing
this to certain system accounts.  Which ones you should or shouldn't do
this too?  As far as I know, I don't know of any ill-effects of doing this
to most system accounts but I'm not sure the impacts of a lot of the
services that are in inetd.conf since most are disabled in our
environment.