List:       focus-sun
Subject:    Re: firewall on solaris 2.6
From:       Steve Siirila <sfs () TC ! UMN ! EDU>
Date:       2000-03-14 17:17:14

Kurt Keller wrote:
> We had the same problem on two machines recently. DNS configuration, however,
> was fine and resolving via DNS (nslookup) quick and no problem. The culprit was
> nscd(1M), the name service cache daemon. You might want to try to stop it or
> disable hosts caching in /etc/nscd.conf.

Be wary of actually stopping nscd, which is what we had originally done when
we encountered similar problems.  We later found out that the door file which
it creates must exist, and the only way to ensure that is to start up nscd
after a reboot.  We have since taken the approach of disabling hosts caching
via /etc/nscd.conf instead with success.

--

Steven F. Siirila
Enterprise Internet Services			Office: Lind Hall, Room 130B