List:       focus-sun
Subject:    Regarding #52465 "Solaris System may Panic While Retransmitting a TCP Packet"
From:       "Lise Moorveld" <lise_moorveld () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2004-01-20 11:12:54

Hi,

Sun classifies the issue discussed in Alert Notification #52465 ("Solaris
System may Panic While Retransmitting a TCP Packet") as an 'Availability'
issue.
http://sunsolve.sun.com/pub-cgi/retrieve.pl?doc=fsalert%2F52465

This is the description:
"A rare race condition may cause Solaris to panic while retransmitting a TCP
packet. The retransmission is due to the original packet being delayed on
the sending system instead of packet loss on the network."

I was wondering, firstly, what is exactly meant by 'the sending system'? Is
this the same system that panics? The fact that this issue apparently occurs
when 'REtransmitting' would suggest this, but I'm not sure I'm getting this
right...
Secondly, if this situation can be triggered by a remote host, wouldn't this
be a potential security issue? Does anyone have any evidence that this issue
can indeed be triggered by a remote host?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Lise