List:       focus-sun
Subject:    Hardening Solaris: Information resources
From:       Matt Collins <matt () clues ! com>
Date:       2002-10-29 17:34:48

Hey Folks,

Thanks for all your help. I received a LOT of documents. Many of them
were crib sheets that added little to material from other sources, and
I spotted outright cut and pastes a plenty between several. I've
included the most useful below (in no particular order) - some were
very very basic but may be useful to those of you who aren't full time
in the security area. Others were more technical and terse, assuming
you already understood the issues.

I was rather surprised at the lack of anything really novel - there were
one or two cleaner more elegant ways of doing things than we already do,
but I guess the 'received wisdom' on Solaris hardening is now so widespread
and homogonised (thanks google! ;) ) that theres little new that needs to
be done.

I've included only those things appropriate to a baseline build - specific
package stripping lists for Checkpoint, iWeb, Apache, etc, are all out there
but weren't what I was interested in.

If anyone out there thinks of something obviously missed then feel free
to chime in ;) Having spent time wading through all the documentation I
was sent in the fear of missing just one novel important thing, I hope
that having cut it down to a shorter list will help some of you - even still
there is much duplication between a lot of these documents.

Personally I found the JASS Internals PDF, compass security checklist,
Solaris TCP/IP tunig, Network security settings blueprint and university
of waterloo documents to provide a very good cross section of cover.

Enjoy,

Matt

Vendor material
---------------

Sun Security blueprints
	http://www.sun.com/solutions/blueprints/browsesubject.html#security
	http://www.sun.com/software/solutions/blueprints/1299/network.pdf
	http://www.sun.com/solutions/blueprints/0601/jass_quick_start-v03.pdf
	http://www.sun.com/solutions/blueprints/0601/jass_release_notes-v03.pdf
	http://www.sun.com/solutions/blueprints/tools

	Unsurprisingly by far the most referenced documents ;) The JASS
	internals PDF can make a good substitude for some of the 'checklist'
	approaches below, and may have the management-friendly advantage
	of being supplied by the Vendor with supportable end states (if not
	processes).

	Good general (basic) introductions to concepts and issues ('How
	hackers do it!' ;-) ) and also useful technical information for
	specific products (BSM, JASS, fingerprint database, etc).

Non Vendor guides
-----------------

Christopher A. Petro's 'corrections' guide:
	http://fixsolaris.sunhelp.org
	Not exclusively security oriented, a 'crib sheet' of common
	admin changes ('fixes') to Sun default settings with explanations.

University of Waterloo security documents:
	http://ist.uwaterloo.ca/security/howto/
	A collection of security documents ranging from the configuration
	and usage of individual products; their solaris documents are
	well thought out and go to great lengths to explain what each
	service (for example, in inetd, or individual setuid programs)
	do to allow a user of an existing system to try and assess
	whether it's required.

Security Focus articles:
	http://online.securityfocus.com/infocus/1365
	http://online.securityfocus.com/infocus/1366
	Hardening Solaris: Diamond in the Rough Pt.1 & 2
	Basic primer on network services

	http://online.securityfocus.com/infocus/1385
	Solaris kernel tunic for security
	Basic kernel tweaks with explanation of change reasoning

	http://online.securityfocus.com/infocus/1489
	Solaris File ACL's
	Basic introduction to Solaris's granular file ACL system
	recommended if you're still using traditional unix owner/group/other
	file permissions on multiuser servers.

SANS institute top 20 list
	http://www.sans.org/top20/#U1
	The ever famous top 20 SANS issues well described in a clear, concise
	corporate manner. Given the FBI tie in this may be useful to reinforce
	the idea that issues like FTP and SNMP are, in fact, serious, and
	help you overcome the 'but everyone uses them' attitude. Perhaps. ;)

SANS institute 'reading room' articles:
	http://rr.sans.org/firewall/solaris_servers.php
	A case study in the installation of firewalls on a university
	campus. Again, rather basic but a useful and readable guide to
	the reasons certain decisions were taken which may help clarify
	issues and their presentation for some.

	http://rr.sans.org/intrusion/host_solaris.php
	A case study in the selection of a host based IDS for solaris
	systems. Again, more useful for the methodological approach
	than technical data.

	http://rr.sans.org/malicious/chkrootkit.php
	A basic introduction to the check root kit scanning tool, and
	some advice on its operational usage.

	http://rr.sans.org/tools/BSM.php
	Introduction to Solaris's kernel auditing tool, BSM. Like filesystem
	ACLs a good feature to get to know if you are not already considering
	it. I (personally) wouldn't recommend some of the verbatim steps,e.g.
	the cron files suggested, but rather use it as a primer document.

Boran Consulting papers:

	http://www.boran.com/security/sp/Solaris_bsm.html
	Some tips and scripts for managing and interpreting BSM

	http://www.boran.com/security/sp/Solaris_hardening4.html
	A step by step guide for  using JASS on Solaris 8 to get
	a boran hardened build. Includes some firewalling information,
	etc.

Sabernet papers:
	http://sabernet.home.attbi.com/papers/Solaris.html
	Step by step cribsheet for building a minimal hardened Solaris
	system.

The system administrators guild (SAGE) checklist:
	http://sageweb.sage.org/resources/online/solaris/index.html
	This is *extremely* nicely laid out, providing a basic crib
	sheet of steps that we're all likely more than familiar with
	but serve as a useful reminder, then allowing 'drill down'
	for detail. While not huge on technical detail the format
	may be worth looking over for your own documentation.

http://www.accs.com/p_and_p/SolSec/
	Another administrator crib sheet with detailed explanations
	of the steps taken. Somewhat purist in places, and useful as a tool
	for bespoke builds (i.e. hardening a server you know the end use
	of) but possibly not so much for a generic 'secured build'.

The center for internet security
	http://www.cisecurity.org/
	'Benchmarking' tools to check the configuration of your system
	against a list of known issues.

Compass Security solaris hardening guide
	http://www.csnc.ch/downloads/docs/hardening/SolarisHardening_CSNC.pdf
	A nice checklist document with further detail from a practical
	DMZ deployment perspective. Includes guidelines for OS and application
	deployment, but assumes general prior familiarity with the issues
	and suggested remedies raised.

Lance Spitzners security papers
	http://www.enteract.com/~lspitz/papers.html
	Useful set of tips and how to's for various operating systems,
	with an emphasis on network security devices (firewalls,
	routers, etc).

Solaris TCP/IP kernel tuning
	http://www.sean.de/Solaris/soltune.html
	An excellent technical resource detailing network stack related ndd
	settings with possible values and explanations; not, however,
	focused around security.

Toolsets
--------
  * scanners

Fyodors Nmap: (network scanner)
	http://www.insecure.org/nmap
Chkrootkit:   (local scanner)
	http://www.chkrootkit.org/
Foundstone SNScan:
	http://www.foundstone.com/knowledge/free_tools.html
SANS SNMPing:
	email snmptool@sans.org
Nessus:
	http://www.nessus.org

  * hardening kits

JASS
	(See Vendor materials above)
TITAN
	http://www.fish.com/titan/
YASSP
	http://www.yassp.org/src/examples/yassp.conf

  * operational utilities

Papillon kernel security module
	http://www.roqe.org/papillon

Wietses tools (tcp wrappers, rpcbind, portmap, etc) :
	ftp://ftp.porcupine.org/pub/security/index.html

Sudo
	http://www.courtesan.com/sudo

OpenSSH
	http://www.openssh.org