List:       focus-sun
Subject:    Re: Door Files
From:       Ray Link <rlink+ () pitt ! edu>
Date:       2001-12-20 20:54:36

On Thu, 20 Dec 2001 rsteven@csc.com wrote:

> I am aware that a door file is a special file but I cannot find out any
> more information than that.  I need to find out everything about them can
> anyone help?

Door files were introduced in Solaris 2.5, and were really nothing
more than specialized file descriptors, kind of like a fast
socket for IPC.  At the time, nothing used them except for nscd,
and the manpage (man door) warned against actually using the
door API, as it was currently still evolving.

Solaris 2.6 included a manpage for the door_call() routine in the door
API, but not much more.  In Solaris 7 and above. the full API was
documented in section 3DOOR of the manpages.  Check out the manpages
for door_create(), door_bind(), door_call() and the rest of the
manpages referenced in the See Also section.  Alternatively, you could
hit up http://docs.sun.com for the Solaris 8 Reference Manual
Collection and look under "D" in the Threads and Realtime Library
Functions section.

I don't mean this to sound like an RTFM reply, but at least I can point
you to the right FM, since they're kind of obscure.  There isn't really
any other in-depth documentation on Solaris door files, since nothing
that I know of uses them, save for system utilities like nscd and
syslog.  Is there a particular reason you need to know about them?

==== Ray Link === University of Pittsburgh CSSD === rlink@pitt.edu ====

I saw `cout' being shifted "Hello world" times to the left and
stopped right there.     -- Steve Gonedes