List:       focus-ms
Subject:    RE: HOW TO encrypt and store mail and PCI DSS Skepticism
From:       "Thor (Hammer of God)" <thor () hammerofgod ! com>
Date:       2011-01-13 3:42:21

PCI has nothing to do with keeping the admin from doing bad things, nor does one have \
to hire any third party to "monitor real-time logs."  PCI doesn't dictate "compliant \
encryption," nor does it dictate how key management is handled.  It says what has to \
be encrypted and under what circumstances, and that key management controls need to \
be in place, but it does not stipulate any particular process workflow.   Logging and \
auditing need to be in place, but they don't get to say that an admin can't "do \
things" to the log.    I won't get into your position of the card industry finding to \
something to "blame" on the merchant or other conspiracy theories.

And finally, if your DB was breached by the "foreign company" through some \
vulnerability, the "video camera in the server room" would have absolutely nothing to \
do with it.  One, because there is no PCI requirement to video tape your server room, \
and two, unless you expect someone to be sitting in front of a terminal with a neon \
"I'm Hacking Over Here" sign it wouldn't matter anyway.  I don't know what QSAs you \
have been working with, but if they told you any of that then you need to find a new \
one (that doesn't think "Geek Squad" references == security professionals).

A few things... I've yet to see the reason WHY the emails have to be encrypted, and \
even if they do, what PCI has to do with it.  If they are emailing credit card \
information around internally, then they would have to be encrypted at rest on the \
server, on the workstations (where personal folders or OST files would be) and in \
transit just as if they were being transmitted via HTTP(s) or telnet for that matter. \
PCI doesn't say "you can't send cc info if you email it unless you encrypt it" but \
rather "you can't send cc info *any* way unless it is encrypted."  Encryption at rest \
is for offline attacks.  Bit locker is fine for complying with encryption at rest \
requirements, however you would see a performance hit on the server.  Someone said \
"bitlocker the exchange files" but Bitlocker is partition specific, not file \
specific.  EFS *might* work technically, but it would not well, and it is certainly \
not supported on Exchange.

There is no reason to deploy PGP as you can easily deploy a (free) MSFT CA and issue \
user certificates for S/MIME usage via Exchange (also free).    Based on the question \
and subsequent comments, my guess is that this has nothing to do with an actual PCI \
environment where cc numbers and other information is being emailed around, but \
rather someone wanting to put some encryption scheme in place around their emails so \
that it can be presented as "PCI compliant" for purposes of illustrating some level \
of security to someone.   I could certainly be wrong, but that's my feeling.