List:       focus-ms
Subject:    RE: HOW TO encrypt and store mail
From:       Dave Balogh <Dave.Balogh () ivans ! com>
Date:       2011-01-12 19:23:54

It requires you to keep logs of changes, file integrity, etc, depending on which PCI \
group you fall under. We have to have file integrity monitoring logs stored in \
multiple places to prevent admin from being able to remove all traces of changes. \
Sure, there's ways around it, but there'd likely be enough warning signs that \
something is happening to take action, assuming there are any auditing controls in \
place..

Why do you have cardholder information (such as the PAN) in e-mail anyways? No way \
around that? We  don't store any cardholder data (well nothing that's required to be \
encrypted) in e-mails or any other system ourside of our PCI network. The data itself \
is encrypted at rest in SQL, and encrypted during transmission to vendors (CC service \
and ACH stuff).

-Dave