List:       focus-ms
Subject:    Re: Password complexity - improvement
From:       "Chris Barber" <cmbarber () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-08-24 21:53:03

You may have reduced the number of usable character combinations in a
fixed character password.  But if I simply add the requirement of
having all 4 character types and leave the upper limit open, I have
just increased the keyspace astronomically.

Example
with password length fixed at 7 characters here are some numbers to look at:
Lower case only password has a keyspace of    8,031,810,176
Upper & lower case keyspace =                 1,028,071,702,528
Upper, lower case &  numbers =                 3,521,614,606,208
Upper, lower, number & Special =             75,144,747,810,816

for a 10 Character password
Lower case only password has a keyspace of  141,167,095,653,376
Upper & lower case keyspace =               144,555,105,949,057,000
Upper, lower case &  numbers =               839,299,365,868,340,000
Upper, lower, number & Special =        66,483,263,599,150,100,000

So, I do not agree that it is a negative impact on security.
Chris.