List:       focus-ms
Subject:    RE: Password Filtering
From:       "M. Burnett" <mb () xato ! net>
Date:       2006-07-29 4:56:18

I believe what you are referring to is the NSA's EnPasFlt.dll filter. That
enforces passwords of at least 8 characters and 4 character sets. This is
only available to government agencies and the docs say it can handle a
maximum of 500 password changes at once.

Another tool is Password Policy Enforcer:
http://www.anixis.com/products/ppe/default.htm. This tool has more advanced
features and is a bit friendlier to end users.

Of course, the friendliest--and mathematically equivalent--thing is to just
enforce long passwords and make the use of character sets optional.

Mark Burnett
"Perfect Passwords"