List:       focus-ms
Subject:    RE: Co-Hosting SQL with IIS FTP service
From:       "Jim Harrison (ISA)" <Jim.Harrison () microsoft ! com>
Date:       2006-07-26 21:51:08

I'd hardly be the one to "go blaming Microsoft"... :-p
There are FTP server applications that provide relatively secure authentication \
mechanisms. IIS isn't one of them; that's a fact.
It's also a fact that the FTP protocol doesn't specify any authentication at all; \
much less a method that anyone would consider "secure".  The fact that some FTP \
servers do provide this is more of an anomaly than anything else.
I do agree that there are far better alternatives to FTP (WebDav, etc.) for data \
transfers, but many financial applications would have you running for the hills with \
your money.
Jim Harrison <blocked::mailto:jmharr@microsoft.com>
Security Platform Group (ISA SE)
If We Can't Fix It - It Ain't Broke!