List:       focus-ms
Subject:    Windows firewall spontaneously changes profiles
From:       David Carlin <djc6 () cwru ! edu>
Date:       2005-06-27 18:18:05

Hello,

I'm having a problem where both XP SP2 and Server 2003 SP1 machines
spontaneously change firewall profiles every couple weeks.  The event
log entry is this:

Event Type:    Success Audit
Event Source:    Security
Event Category:    Policy Change
Event ID:    860
User:        NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer:    COMPUTERNAME
The Windows Firewall has switched the active policy profile.
Active profile: Standard

The issue being, the standard profile is stock.  None of my
exceptions are listed and file sharing, network backups, antivirus
updates, etc.. are disrupted.

Why is windows switching profiles?  What criteria does it use to
suddenly decide not to use the domain profile?  I'd hate to think a
momentary network blip could cause something unpredictable like this.

Ideally, is there a way I can can have the domain profile always in
use?  Do I have to maintain both a Standard and Domain profile with
identical settings?

Thank You,

     -David