List:       focus-ms
Subject:    RE: process tracking
From:       Joanna Rutkowska <joanna () mailsnare ! net>
Date:       2004-03-28 9:30:51

this tool (SNARE), again, seems to treat the 'string' field of the
reported event as one, opaque field, which make the extraction of the
parent PID very difficult for automated parser.

i'm not interested in just finding all process creation events, but rather
in correlation between process creation and termination events (592 and
593), so that it would be possible to see which processes has created
which child. for example, the information that cmd.exe has been started
someday in the past is useless, unless i will know that it was started by
for example inetinfo.exe, which would be the obvious sign of the shellcode
execution.

joanna.