List:       focus-ms
Subject:    Re: DHCP through RAS
From:       jamesworld () intelligencia ! com
Date:       2004-03-03 2:25:18

That means that the machine dialing in has a modem and it's
configured.  Your RAS identifies it as an interface that needs an IP
address so it assigns one to it.  It detects it's a RAS (modem) interface
so it gives that type.  Usually harmless, but it's a consideration when
allocating DHCP pools.

Try it yourself.  Use a Win NT, 2K or XP box with a modem on it.  Configure
the modem with Remote access and have the service enabled.  Plug in and get
an IP address via DHCP.  Look at the leases for your machine and notice the
two IP's and the interface types.  And you are not using your modem as an
ICS or anything else.

Yes the possibility is there.  If you are running AD, create a script or GP
to restrict it.  (Shut down the RRAS service)

-James