List:       focus-ms
Subject:    RE: Any way to remove ADMIN$ only?
From:       "Aaron Milis" <aaronmillis () glacierbancorp ! com>
Date:       2002-11-07 20:04:14

David is right in that Microsoft will tell you to do one thing and SANS
or (insert any security group here) will tell you to do things another
way. The best piece of advice I can give is to do something and stick to
it. The different recommendations or best practices are pretty much just
different ways of accomplishing the same goal, which is securing the
server.

 You will find however that the different "authorities" agree most of
the time in the basics of setting up security. Anyone will tell you that
NTFS permissions are where you do the real work, and that is why many
security guides state that you can use Everyone=Full Control share
permissions followed immediately by something like, "If you do this you
better be damn sure your ACL's are configured properly."

Personally I use shares sparingly and when I do use them I remove the
Everyone group and assign a specific group or groups with permissions to
the share. This is more administrative work, but it gives me that warm
comfy feeling and helps me sleep at night.

Another way I've seen share permissions setup rather than using the
Everyone=Full Control share is to remove Everyone and add Authenticated
Users=Full Control. Like David said, every administrator has to find his
own way so the real best practices are the ones that keep you hired and
help you sleep at night. :)

Regards,

Aaron Millis  -  Software Analyst/Administrator
A+, Network+, Server+, MCP, MCSA, CNA
Glacier Bancorp, Inc.  -  IT Department
2601 Garfield, Missoula, MT   59801
Office: 406-549-1681  -  Cell: 406-360-0912
Fax: 406-549-1689  -  Helpdesk: 877-611-0556