List:       focus-ms
Subject:    Re: ntfs perms question
From:       Eric <ews () tellurian ! net>
Date:       2002-03-29 20:50:43

I once new guy who decided that he'd be the only person ever accessing his
system - he'd heard about issues wrt Everyone, so he re-ACLed his box from
the root of C (and propogated down) so that Admin (himself) had Full
control, and everything else was removed (including System).

Imagine the look on his face when he rebooted his system and it didn't come
up.  Nada - nothing.  He had to re-install his OS.

So, yes, System needs F access to necessary system files - else the system
can't read the files it needs to boot.

I created a template for IIS5 servers that re-ACLs most executable content
to remove Everyone and User perms.  This assumes that only admins will be
using the box locally. Template is here:
http://www.systemexperts.com/win2k/web_secure.inf

I also created a script for NT4 that would re-ACL a system and replace
Everyone with AuthUsers.  It is available here:
http://online.securityfocus.com/data/tools/securent.zip