List:       focus-ms
Subject:    RE: IIS4/5 Directory Security and OWA
From:       dumbwabbit <dumbwabbit () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-11-28 15:57:44

I have OWA running on an IIS4/Exchange 5.5 box, using
URLScan. Let me know if you want my urlscan.ini file.

One addition to isapi mappings - you will want to
remove ALL mappings except for the following:
.asa
.asp
.cer
.crt

I also strongly recommend completely removing the
"change password" functionality, you can do this by:
a) Removing .htr and .htx script mappings from isapi
b) Deleting the .htr and .htx files (default
installation in c:\winnt\system32\inetsrv\iisadmpwd)
Then, edit the set.asp page which contains the "Change
Password" button/function and disable/remove the code
in question.

If you require additional security, you can create and
assign certificates which are mapped to individual NT
User accounts. This way, everyone gets their own
separate certificate, and you can manage this with a
bit more granularity. However, the overhead involved
in maintaining the different certificates can be a
pain...

I would also recommend COMPLETELY removing ALL
Front-Page components - they are NOT needed for OWA.
What you might want to do is install Front Page Server
Extensions on a FRESH server, using an Installation
Monitoring tool (PC Magazine has a great free one
called In Control 5, Microsoft has a free one too,
forget what it's called though) to see exactly which
files Front-Page installs on a machine. Then, after
you remove Front-Page from the OWA server, you can use
the report generated by the Installation Monitor
application to manually remove any leftover files
(never trust an uninstall feature to completely remove
all traces of an app/component...). At the very least,
make sure you remove all instances of imagemap.exe and
htimage.exe

I would also recommend disabling Parent Paths calls,
but you will need to edit some of the default OWA
pages to get OWA to work properly should you do this.
I, in fact, have gone this far.

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q246/2/03.ASP

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q236/8/11.ASP

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q309/5/08.ASP