List:       focus-ids
Subject:    RE: Effectiveness of a Honey pot
From:       Jeff Smith <JSmith () Dentrix ! com>
Date:       2001-08-29 0:01:09

  Sorry but I was a bit confused by your post.  First you said that your
honeypot does not respond to services (It does not respond to any service
sent to it.  This includes pings, snmp, and what ever else.  The only way is
ssh from a designated machine that is inside our firewall.) but then you go
on to say (I have the ability to decide which services, I want to be
available on the server.) These seem like contradictory statements to me.  I
am not trying to attack you but to learn from you.
  I see honeypots as a learning device.  I can assume certain things when I
use a honeypot.  1) All traffic to the honeypot is malicious.  I can assume
this because I did not advertise that the machine even exists. 2)All traffic
initiated by this machine is a result of a misconfiguration on my part or a
compromise.  I can then use this limited information to find potential
attackers.  If host X has scanned my honeypot then I can be pretty safe to
say the attacker has or will scan my production machine and drop the route.
If the honeypot start do irregular traffic I know it has been compromised
and can use the logs to find out why and fix it on my production machines.
I can also use the honeypot to learn attack techniques and subculture to a
degree.
  I use honeypots for certain things.  I have a "windows" (Actually a hacked
up Linux box) that looks like a machine that has payroll information.
Fairly simple to break into, but it still requires a bit of skill.  This way
I can see who on the inside is snooping around.  I can also to a degree see
the skill level, malicious intent, and morality (I have had employees tell
me there is an insecure machine on the network and offered to help repair
it) an of the employee.
  My biggest complaint with honeypots is that by installing a honeypot I
have one more machine running programs.  This machine is also attached to a
hostile environment.  Even though it is very unlikely then honeypot software
may have exploits (buffer problems, DOS, etc).
  Like I said earlier I did not want this to be an attack on anyone.  I want
to understand the "why's" of honeypots/IDS/Analyzers.  Wasn't the reason
Mitnick was caught was because of a honeypot setup by Tsutomu Shimomura.
Also wasn't after Mr. Mitnick entered the honeypot that he launched a
successful attack against Tsutomu Shimomura's legit network.

Jeff Smith