List:       focus-ids
Subject:    Re: netscape-proxy-server and ICMP
From:       Robert Mortimer <robm () BROADQUAY ! COM>
Date:       2001-01-17 21:59:56

Polar Bear wrote:
> Hi,
> Could anybody tell me if Netscape-Proxy Server v2.52

You sure about that version number? 2.x is ever so old
I suspect 3.52

> uses ICMP for anything (some type of path
> detection/RTT or something similar)?
> It's pinging a lot!?

It depends if it's configured as part of an array or ICP cluster,
if it isn't then no. If it is then it uses UDP packets to determine
which server has the requested document, in both of these cases it
should be just to the other members of the array or a broadcast address.

see:
http://developer.netscape.com/docs/manuals/proxy/adminux/cache.htm#1041617
and:
http://developer.netscape.com/docs/manuals/proxy/adminux/cache.htm#1044127