List:       focus-ids
Subject:    RE: IDS security testing training
From:       "Peter Schawacker" <pschawacker () nfr ! com>
Date:       2003-01-31 16:19:45

You can download the paper, "Benchmarking IDS" from http://www.nfr.com/publications/.

Cheers,

Peter Schawacker, CISSP
Senior Systems Engineer
NFR Security
43300 Warner Trail
Palm Desert, CA 92211
Office: 760-200-4258
Mobile: 760-221-2404

- -----Original Message-----
From: Jason Falciola [mailto:falciola@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 29, 2003 11:55 AM
To: focus-ids@securityfocus.com

I don't have direct answers to your questions, but I believe Marcus Ranum
wrote a good paper on testing IDS a while ago.  Can't seem to find the
link to it right now.  :(

Jason Falciola
Information Security Analyst
IBM Managed Security Services
falciola@us.ibm.com

        "Pete Herzog" <lists@isecom.org>
        01/29/2003 04:27 AM
        Please respond to lists

                 To: <focus-ids@securityfocus.com>
                 cc:
                 Subject: IDS security testing training

Hi,

The Institute for Security and Open Methodologies (www.isecom.org) is
preparing to release the next version of the OSSTMM (Open Source Security
Testing Methodology Manual - www.osstmm.org) which among other things,
provides remote testing steps for IDS effectivness and limitations.  We
have
also incorporated these tests into our open source training materials
(OSSTMM Professional Security Tester).  I am working the next two weeks on
the training materials to enhance the IDS testing training and give hands
on.  I have some questions:

Has anyone here done a training which teaches you to test IDS?

What do you think is necessry for proper teaching of IDS testing?

Have you used the OSSTMM for testing IDS effectiveness and do you have any
comments?

Thanks for whatever help you can provide!

Sincerely,
- -pete.