List:       focus-ids
Subject:    Re: Manpower requirements for IDS deployments (was high-speed NIDS
From:       roy lo <roylo () sr2c ! com>
Date:       2002-07-17 20:51:00

Your sysadmin is suppose to handle those things, at free of charge. ^_^
*grin*

write scripts to trigger events, security planing, network structure,
write firewall rules..(etc) they all are part of sysadmin's job.

And write a script to extracting common and noticeable alarms from IDS
sensors (logs) is just a common thing to do (and a common skill for
sysadmins). The script should even have warming levels and it ought to
decide if it important (send e-mail to admin's pager) or mild (send logs
to admin's e-mail address).
Ofcourse the complex ones will be look over by the admin, him/herself.
Since the script is rather limited.

Those are thing *suppose* to be done by your sysadmin. but who knows?
some of the sysadmin I know can't even write scripts. :P

--
Roy Lo
Freelance Consultant

Sun Certified Network Administrator (SCNA)
Sun Certified System Administrator (SCSA)
Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA)