List:       focus-ids
Subject:    RE: HIDS - new technologies ?
From:       "Shripal Meghani" <meghani () nsecure ! net>
Date:       2002-07-15 6:57:09

Well, it is true that the HIDS technology scenario is improving fast.
There are a lot of things that can be done at the host for intrusion
detection... some of them are mentioned in this thread: Log Analysis, File
Integrity Checking, Port monitoring, System Call Monitoring. Some SHOULD
even provide a firewall as one of the defense mechanisms on the hosts!
... but there are some very serious commercial complications with Host Based
IDS's.
1) HIDS's raise a lot of alerts and/or data that needs to be analysed. If
you do something like system call monitoring, the security admin is going to
be in a shock!!
2) HIDS data is host specific, and only security admins well aware in the
intricacies of the host in question can make some sense of the data.
3) Some HIDSs are inherently unstable and may itself be of some risk to the
system concerned. But Most do not cause any damage to the system, infact
that is one the objectives while developing a HIDS.

In particular let us take System call monitoring as an example.
There can be two kinds of system call monitoring: "System Call forking" or
"System call chaining"
In System call forking, the system call is picked up by the OS and "forked"
to both the system as well as the application which is monitoring it. This
will be a lot less dangerous than "System call Hooking" which entails
completely overriding the system call and replacing it with a custom routine
(Kernel Modules for example). Intuitively, this is a lot riskier.
From a prevention point of view, the former is useless, it can do nothing to
prevent the system from receiving the call. The latter can drop the call
altogether