List:       focus-ids
Subject:    Re: RFC: Forking Snort
From:       "Kyle R. Hofmann" <krh () lemniscate ! net>
Date:       2002-07-04 22:30:54

On Thu, 04 Jul 2002 03:50:46 -0400, Jed Pickel wrote:
> Sourcefire can continue as is for a while but conflicts of interest
> are going to come up regardless of the promises from Marty.

This, to me, is the pith of your argument.  You believe that Marty must
eventually choose to devote himself to either Sourcefire or Snort, that they
make exclusive demands on him, and that his attempts to balance those demands
will someday fail.  You want to ensure that this does not happen.

I don't think it's necessary.  I believe that Marty devotes himself to both
Sourcefire and Snort, that their demands are reinforcing rather than exclusive,
and that he has done and will continue to do an excellent job with both of them.
I don't claim that Snort development is perfect, but it is very, very good.  Most
of the respondents to this thread seem to agree with me.

As one respondent pointed out, it is possible that someday this will not be
so.  Should that ever happen, however, I am sure that a thoughtful and
considerate leader would be chosen by Snort community from the remaining Snort
developers to continue Snort's development.  I don't think you have to worry;
Snort's future is secure.

--
Kyle R. Hofmann <krh@lemniscate.net>