List:       flowscan
Subject:    Re: Running flowscan o nmultiple routers
From:       Jay Ford <jay-ford () uiowa ! edu>
Date:       2002-03-13 14:24:08

On Wed, 13 Mar 2002, Leigh Sharpe wrote:

>   We are about to install a second border router in a separate location to
> our existing one (to another peer). I am currently running Flowscan on our
> existing router, but need to monitor traffic on both the existing one and
> the new one. Two questions:

I do that.  It works fine.

> 1) Currently I am defining OutputIfIndex in my CampusIO.cf. Do I need to
> make sure BOTH routers have the same IfIndex number for the uplinks to the
> internet? Or is NextHops a better idea?

Your situation might be different, but in my experience using next hop
addresses is better than using indexes.  The former very seldom change
without your intent, while the latter do (code upgrades, card swaps, etc.).

Just specify all of your external next hop addresses in "NextHops" & don't
bother with "OutputIfIndexes".

> 2) Do I then set LocalNextHops to point to each gateway IP between these
> two routers? Or have I completely missed the point?

Yes, "LocalNextHops" is where you specify the next hop addresses used by the
border routers to talk to each other.