List:       flowscan
Subject:    Re: rrdgraph error message
From:       Matt Selsky <selsky () columbia ! edu>
Date:       2002-01-29 22:16:58

> can't parse DEF 'nyser-gw_total_out_bytes:/cflow/rrds/nyser-gw/total.rrd:out_bytes:AVERAGE'

I found out what the problem was.  I went looking through the source
code for rrdtool with some help from a colleage and we found that
hyphens are not permitted in (C)DEF variable names.  Also variable names
are restricted to 29 characters.  The way that I got around this was to
make MD5 hashes of the variables and replace the variable names
everywhere (Cricket takes a similar approach I believe).  I hope this is
of some use to other people and saves them some time and frustration.

--
Help        mailto:majordomo@net.doit.wisc.edu and say "help" in message body