List:       flowscan
Subject:    using FlowScan with cflowd data files? (was "Re: flowscan issue")
From:       Dave Plonka <plonka () doit ! wisc ! edu>
Date:       2002-01-23 3:38:29

FlowScan users,

I received this message to my personal mailbox.  I'm following-up to
the list and will bounce this reply to the sender so that he can
follow-up in the list if necessary.

On Sun, Jan 20, 2002 at 10:54:07PM +0200, someone wrote:
<snip>
>    Could you please give me some URL or hints how one can really use
>    flowscan for visualising cflowd data files. I've got them for example
>    in /usr/cflowd/. What I can't figure out for myself is how to give
>    that location to flowscan, (which script in particular use them ?!)
>    and how to point where I do want the resulted pngs. 10x in advance! :)

None of my scripts (nor FlowScan) read arts++ files.  FlowScan uses
flow collectors (or "flow sources" if you like) such as cflowd or
flow-tools only as a source of raw flow records.  FlowScan reads those
flow records and analyzes the flows there-in, subsequently storing
summary data in RRD files, like MRTG or Cricket.

When used with cflowd, FlowScan reads timestamped raw flow files, such
as are produced by cflowd after patching it and using the "-s" option,
which I added.

All this is fairly thoroughly described in the INSTALL documentation:

   http://net.doit.wisc.edu/~plonka/FlowScan/INSTALL.html

and in my paper on FlowScan, linked from here:

   http://net.doit.wisc.edu/~plonka/FlowScan/#FlowScan_Resources

Dave

--
plonka@doit.wisc.edu  http://net.doit.wisc.edu/~plonka  ARS:N9HZF  Madison, WI