List:       flightgear-users
Subject:    Re: [Flightgear-users] Logitech Force 3D Pro USB,
From:       "Hal V. Engel" <hvengel () astound ! net>
Date:       2009-02-09 18:57:23

On Sunday 08 February 2009 10:39:17 pm Bo Berglund wrote:
> I have to get this simulation stuff working for myself first before
> exposing me to the mock and ridicule of the Internet.
> See above what can happen...  ;-)
>
> BosseB

You shouldn't worry about this.  Many of the FG pilots who are on-line are
fairly skilled and some are highly skilled.  But there are also a significant
number of novices and it is not at all uncommon to see one of these novices
damage their bird or have what would be a fatal crash if this happened in the
real world.  It even happens to me on occasion.   As long as you are not being
obnoxious (IE. deliberately disrupting others) no one will mock or ridicule
you.   In fact if anything others will try to help if you ask.

I once saw a novice FG cub pilot do a classic stall/spin into the ground as I
was taxing to take off position.  He/she must have done 7 or 8 rotations
before hitting the ground and I remember thinking "just let go of the controls
and the plane will start flying again" as I watched it happening.   I have no
idea who that was and it really does not matter.  He/she was a new pilot and
learned a valuable lesson that that day but at no point did anyone make fun of
this pilot.

Sort of related to this I have seen posts here and on the on-line forum where
FG pilots have said that they wouldn't use voice communications even if it
were available (IE. like FGCOM or Teamspeak or Mumble) because they would feel
too self conscious.   In the real world pilots use radios all the time for
voice communications and doing this in FG would add significantly to it's
realism.  But I can understand where these individuals are coming from since
when you first start using two way radios there is always some fear of
screwing up since what you are doing is so public.  New HAM radio operators
feel the same way.  But it only takes a short time to realize that 1) no one
will ridicule you unless you persist in making big mistakes and 2) doing this
is necessary to the activity you involved in.

Hal