List:       flightgear-users
Subject:    Re: [Flightgear-users] Audio Initialization failed
From:       Melchior FRANZ <mfranz () aon ! at>
Date:       2009-02-04 12:51:19

* vijay varma -- Wednesday 04 February 2009:
> I have successfully installed FG1.9.1 on my system(Linux environment).
> when i run FlightGear some times i am getting error message in the
> konsole as
>
> "open /dev/[sound/]dsp: Device or resource busy

As others have already said, killing the application that blocks
the device is one possible solution.

Your spelling of "konsole" implies that you are using KDE. If that's
of the KDE3.* series, then it probably still uses artsd (the software
synthesizer that also serves as multiplexer). In this case you have
also these possibilities:

  $ artsdsp fgfs --aircraft=...

This makes fgfs use the arts daemon. That way the fgfs sound is mixed
with other (desktop) sounds, so you hear both. Or you can just suspend
the daemon:

  $ artsshell suspend && fgfs --aircraft=...

That's like killing artsd, except that it resumes after you have
stopped using fgfs.

m.