List:       flightgear-users
Subject:    Re: [Flightgear-users] autopilot
From:       "Innis Cunningham" <innisc () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2005-10-30 13:33:30

Hello Roy
Thank you for the reply.I was hoping you might see this post.

  Roy Vegard Ovesen writes

>On Sunday 30 October 2005 08:32, Innis Cunningham wrote:
> > Hi All
> > Could someone with more understanding than me,of
> > autopilot, tell me where the property is that is restricting the
> > autopilot to a climb rate of 8.33 FPS and a decent
> > rate of 16.67 FPS.Look as I might I can't see where
> > this is set.
>
>I'll assume that you are talking about the 737 autopilot.

Yes it is for the 737.

>The "Altitude Hold Stage 1" controller, starting at line 224, restricts the
>rate-of-climb setpoint to -2000 to 2000 fps. I guess that makes sense?!

No changing that value does not change the rate of climb/decent.Besides
2000 fps by my calculation is 12000 FPM which I would think is rather large
for most non military aircraft.

>Further down, beginning at line 400,  you'll see that the "Speed hold (vary
>pitch) Stage #1" controller restricts the _pitch_ to -8.0 to 15.0 degrees.
>Are you sure that it's the climb rate that is restricted to 8.33/16.67, and
>not the pitch when in speed hold mode?

The property involved is /autopilot/internal/target-climb-rate-fps when
using the
altitude hold selection of the autopilot.It only shows about 1deg +/- on the
AH/ADI
which is 480 FPM climb and 1000 FPM decend which I would think is about
right for
the light aircraft but not for commercial aircraft.Somewhere else this
restriction is in
place.I would guess it is the same place that the restriction for roll rate
is set at
20 deg.I have looked in the preferences file in the set file for the 737 the
generic
autopilot file and the 737 autopilot file but I can't see anywhere were this
restriction
is set.
Also the heading select mode does not seem to operate using the mode control
panel.
It seems to work a little better if the autopilot settings drop down menu is
used.but the
laterial control seems to work ok when using the nav modes.As I think that
the 737 is probably
the only aircraft that uses hotspots to select and adjust the
autopilot/autothrottle system
it would be nice to get it to work correctly to add to the realism of the
aircraft.
I tried the Beech 1900d and it seems to clip to the same target climb rate.

Thanks for anymore help
>--
>Roy Vegard Ovesen

Cheers