List:       flightgear-users
Subject:    [Flightgear-users] fgfs aborts with color depth not 24 in Fedora
From:       Dave Perry <skidavem () mindspring ! com>
Date:       2004-08-28 17:46:24

Curt Olson wrote:

>Dave Perry wrote:
>
>>/ I used
>/>/ rpm -e freeglut
>/>/ to remove what was installed in my update. Then I removed all the
>/>/ remaining glut or freeglut libs from /usr/lib/ and /usr/local/lib/ and
>/>/ the glut.h files. Then I reinstalled the freeglut and freeglut-devel
>/>/ rpms from disc 3 of FC2. I then did make clean in my source directory
>/>/ for SimGear and recompiled that. Did the same in the source directory
>/>/ for fgfs. No problems with the the ./configure and make;make install
>/>/ of either.
>/>/
>/>/ Now when I run
>/>/ ./bin/fgfs
>/>/ I get
>/>/ fgfs: freeglut_window.c:300: fgOpenWindow: Assertion
>/>/ 'window->Window.VisualInfo != ((void *)0)' failed.
>/>/ Aborted
>/>/
>/>/ Do I just need to do a clean install of FC2?
>/>/
>/>/ I am getting 198 FPS with glxgears running maximised on a 1600x1200
>/>/ LCD at 16 bit depth with a mobile Nvidia GF4 chip. Tuxracer is also
>/>/ accelerated.
>/>/ Thanks for the suggestions,
>/>/ Dave Perry
>/
>
>Hmmm, I honestly don't know what the problem could be.  The glxgears
>number sounds  a little low??? but if tuxracer is accelerated, then you
>must have your nvidia drivers installed correctly.
>
>I just had FG running on Fedora Core 2 this morning with no problem ...
>
>plib-1.8.3 (couldn't get the cvs version to compile do to autoconf/make
>problems?)
>openal-cvs
>simgear-cvs
>flightgear-cvs (configured with --enable-sdl)
>
>You might want to try building fgfs with sdl rather than glut ... that's
>perhaps one difference between what I did and what you are doing ...
>you still need glut installed to compile plib (and some of the
>peripheral test programs in flight/simgear, but the main fgfs is linked
>only against sdl when you configure flightgear with the --enable-sdl option.

Again thanks for the suggestions.  After much experimenting, it turns out
that all works with depth=24 but no other depth works with fgfs whether I
compile fgfs with freeglut or with sdl enabled.  I did switch to plib-1.8.3
and then update openal-cvs, simgear-cvs, and flightgear-cvs.  This had
no affect.

When I try depth 16 or depth 15 or depth 8 and run fgfs, I get the above
fgfs error with freeglut and the following error if fgfs is compiled
with sdl enabled:
FATAL:  ssgInt called without a valid OpenGL context.

But with depth=24,fgfs runs fine with 3D acceleration (35 fps in KSFO) but
only in an 800x600 window.  Not enough video memory to run full screen
1600x1200.  With RH9.0, and the same hardware, I would run full 1600x1200
with __GL_FSAA_MODE=2 at depth 16 but not at depth 24.

/var/log/Xorg.0.log looks normal when depth=16 and other OpenGL aps run ok.

System descripiton:
Dell Latitude 2.2Ghz P4 with Nvidia GF4 Go
1600x1200 LCD
Fedora Core 2 with 2.6.8-1.521 (latest up2date) kernel
I have tried both gnome and kde ... no difference.

The main difference seems to be Fedora Core 2 with X.org replacing XFree86.

Regards,
Dave