List:       flightgear-users
Subject:    Re: [Flightgear-users] Flightgear-users] FlightGear problem
From:       "Curtis L. Olson" <curt () flightgear ! org>
Date:       2004-01-31 15:40:19

Donn Washburn wrote:
> Yes Sir, I have already downloaded and upgraded plib, FlightGear,
> SimGear and even libGL to see if any of these were causing the problem.
>  My SuSE9.0 Pro disc may have a problem because a "Search" of Yast2
> showed up with no FlightGear.  The DVD fails to work also.
>
> Anyway, "fgfs" comes up but seems to hang when started from a "xterm"
>
> It does load a bunch of scerny and other data then reaches
>
> FGMultiplayTxMgr::init - Tx Port is zero. Multiplay out disabled.
> Tile not found (Ok if initializing)
>
> and hangs soon after with a image of the instruments/controls of what
> looks like a C172.  The AM/PM function is working but thats it.

I'm not claiming FG is perfectly bug free, but FG is very resource hungry.
  So if you have an older video card, or a card with less memory (i.e. <
32Mb) or it's only has open source driver support, then I'd say their is a
very good chance that the problem is with your video card or video drivers.

> What the heck is Tile?

I must have missed the message you are replying to, but for FG, a "tile"
usually refers to a square chunk of scenery.  We cut the world up into
"tiles".  FG loads and draws only the nearby tiles.  It can load new tiles
as you fly along so you can fly seamlessly around the entire world (if you
have all the tiles downloaded/installed.)

Regards,

Curt.
--
Curtis Olson   Intelligent Vehicles Lab         FlightGear Project
Twin Cities    curt@me.umn.edu                  curt@flightgear.org