List:       flightgear-flightmodel
Subject:    Re: [Flightgear-flightmodel] flight path heading
From:       Andy Ross <andy () plausible ! org>
Date:       2004-02-16 22:53:02

Jim Wilson wrote:
> Does anyone have a formula handy for calculating the flight path of
> an aircraft in true degrees (direction of travel as opposed to the
> airframe heading)?  My guess is that it'd be a matter of doing
> something with the lon/lat from the previous frame.  Maybe there's
> something simpler with the current FDM output in FlightGear?

The FDM superclass (FDM/flight.hxx) has get_V_{north|east|down}()
methods that contain the actual flight path.  I fill these out from
YASim because they were there.  I have no idea if anything else uses
them or not, or if they are exported to properties.

You can extract an actual heading from these with a simple:

  atan2(Veast, Vnorth)

Andy