List:       flightgear-flightmodel
Subject:    Re: [Flightgear-flightmodel] Single Engine Model to Multiple
From:       "Donald C. Simon" <donsimon () firstva ! com>
Date:       2003-05-23 20:44:38

Jon,

I meant JSBSim, and this answers the question.

This capability may be worthy of inclusion in a future version of JSBSim.
On most WW II era aircraft with mechanically driven superchargers the
exhaust stacks were shaped to act as nozzles, thereby utilizing some of the
energy present in the exhaust gasses to generate thrust. The thrust
generated could be on the order of 100 lbs or more, which is approaching 10%
of propeller thrust - certainly something worthy of consideration. There are
several NACA technical reports detailing this topic. Turbo-charged aircraft
usually did not have exhaust ejectors as the exhaust energy was used instead
to drive the turbocharger.

A carefully designed ducted radiator can reduce radiator drag or, under some
flight conditions, act as a crude "jet" engine and actually provide thrust.

I think you can see why I was thinking about these effects. For now I will
"keep it simple" and assume zero thrust or drag from both components.

Sincerely,

Don Simon
Troy, VA