List:       flightgear-flightmodel
Subject:    [Flightgear-flightmodel] P-51D updates and short Howto
From:       "Jim Wilson" <jimw () kelcomaine ! com>
Date:       2003-05-22 14:19:55

The P-51D YASim model is getting close to about as far as I can get without
some more involved code changes.

Here's some basic instructions for flyiing:

Takeoff:
You'll need to turn on the boost.  What I've done is bound the CTRL+B setting
to rotate between 3 settings.  They are 0, .33, and 1.0 where 1.0 is full
turbo.  For takeoff you'll want the 0.33 setting.

On startup hit CTRL+B and that should give you the first stage.

Manifold pressure at full throttle should be about 60inHG.

Max increase RPM on pitch (knob all the way forward).

Be ready to apply some rudder once the tail lifts off.  In the current
configuration it doesn't pull too badly one way or the other, but you do need
to control it to stay on the runway.

Your RPM should be close to 3000 (150 mphis) before you pull back on the
stick.  Pull back to soon and you'll probably drop the left wing and maybe
crash (huge engine, little plane).

Climb:
Full throttle.  Take off boost (optional).

Adjust propeller pitch to give you about 2700 rpm.

At 18,000 feet hit CTRL+B to engage second stage boost.  You do not want to
exceed 61 inHG so keep the second stage off below FL 180.  I think this is
automatic in the real P-51D,  but this gives an approximation.

Cruise:
300-350 mph is good.  Supposedly you can do more, but normally you want to
keep your prop set around 2400 engine rpm for cruise.

2700 engine rpm is the maximum continuous won't fry before you get home engine
speed.

Maximum dive RPM is 3500, so again keep an eye on the prop pitch when doing
acrobatics.

Approach and Landing:
The glide ratio seems about right now although still maybe a little too good
at low speeds.

It's about 3 miles per thousand feet at 175mph so you'll want to prepare well
ahead for landing.

Haven't got exact settings but here are a few things to keep in mind.

Turn off the turbo.  Also get down low ahead of time.  If you are over 200
mph in your final turn and 1000ft for each 3 miles,  you probably won't make it.

Keep throttle down to about 10-20%.  Prop down to 1000 rpm or less.

First flap position can be applied below 250 mph.
Gear down around 175mph and full flap below 165mph.
AoA is probably around 5-10 degrees (still not sure on that).

Cross the threshold and cut the throttle and prop or it'll just keep sailing.

If someone who actually knows how to fly can improve on the approach and
landing I'd appreciate some suggestions. :-)

Taxiing:
Works pretty good.  Don't over steer,  but an S pattern might help you see
where you are going.

Best,

Jim