List:       flightgear-flightmodel
Subject:    Re: [Flightgear-flightmodel] spacecraft
From:       Devrim Erdem <devrim () machsim ! com>
Date:       2002-06-08 21:48:32

> Hello,
>
> Is it possible to model a spacecraft?
> To be more specific, the ascent phase, in-orbit activity, re-entry and
> the final approach?
>
> I would gladly play with spacecraft models, as I graduated in
> Computational Engineering and Control; my Master's Thesis was
> "Application of the Optimisation Theory to reentry trajectory". The
> model I used then were simple drag and lift functions of velocity and
> local air density. It was sufficient then but it is not sufficient to
> play with it.
>
> Now I am too lazy to implement it all (especially 3D environment and
> instrumentation panel visualisation modules) from the scratch and I am
> looking for a framework. The only spaceflight simulator I know is
> Orbiter, but it is not open source thus it is hard to hack it beyond
> limits put by the author.

Just as I have planned, somebody wants to avoid 3d stuff and wants a
framework :)

We have a piece of software, called DinaStudio, in which it is possible
to run a C/C++ model and DinaStudio provides semi-automatic 3d objects,
full automatic configuration GUI (
http://www.machsim.com/overall_with_input_param_dl.jpg )  and graphing
for the models (). We are planning to release Beta 2 next week and I
guess you may build a model and use it in DinaStudio as a plugin. ( This
is what DinaStudio is all about actually. )

Let me know if somebody is interested in using it.

Some other screenshots of the version under development :

http://www.machsim.com/overall_with_3d.jpg
http://www.machsim.com/overall_with_vinputdevice.jpg

Regards,

Devrim Erdem