List:       flightgear-devel
Subject:    [Flightgear-devel] Generic autopilot and interface design
From:       Chris HM <chris_boylan () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2022-02-13 15:24:55

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

It's interesting to see Josh's work on the generic autopilot discussed.
Thanks for all your hard work on this Josh, I remember some
conversations with you a year or so ago around the same topic when
building my custom AP interface.

 From an intermediate-user/interface design perspective I have some
clarifying questions.

  * Will the generic autopilot eventually be part of FG without
    additional addons etc?
  * Will there be standard properties available that will control every
    aircraft (or do aircraft devs need to make changes to accommodate
    the generic autopilot?)

My hope would be that I can cobble together the generic .xml in/out for
the generic and suddenly have access to many more aircraft using my
interface because of the standards. At the moment it's time consuming to
unpick individual property tree/interpretations/nasal to assemble the
correct xml protocols for different aircraft. (I get it, all programmers
will have different solutions if given the flexibility)

Chris